#513. If You’ve Ever Doubted Whether Meditation Works, Listen to This Story | Ali Smith, Atman Smith, and Andres Gonzalez
You may remember hearing a massively viral story from a few years ago about a school in Baltimore that gave students meditation, instead of detention.
Ali Smith, Atman Smith, and Andres Gonzalez founded the Holistic Life Foundation and are the authors of Let Your Light Shine, which recounts the story of their work helping traumatized children in one of America’s most underserved cities, and how mindfulness tools can help children and communities not only survive, but thrive.
In this episode we talk about:
- The story behind their meditation-instead-of-detention initiative
- Their experience asking principals to give them the most challenging students
- What it’s like working in one of the most violent cities in the world
- The results from teaching students yoga and meditation
- How we can apply the lessons they’ve learned to meditation and life
Photo Credit: Rebekah Elly
Where to find Ali Smith, Atman Smith, and Andres Gonzalez online:
Website: Holistic Life Foundation
Other Resources Mentioned:
Download the Ten Percent Happier app today: https://10percenthappier.app.link/install