#498. What "Getting Out of Your Head" Actually Means | Dawn Mauricio
Available for free on:
Amazon Music | Apple Podcasts | Castbox | Google Podcasts | iHeartRadio | Pandora | Player FM | Spotify | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS Feed
It’s such a common desire to get out of our heads — to escape the nonstop, mostly self-referential chatter, the habitual storylines, the ancient resentments and the compulsive self-criticism. Many of us take elaborate and even drastic measures in this regard like self-medication, shopping, tech addiction, and so on. But there’s a much healthier option that is readily and perpetually available. In fact, we’re dragging it around with us all the time, the body.
The Buddha is said to have laid out four ways to be mindful. In other words, to be awake to whatever is happening right now. The first of these four foundations of mindfulness is mindfulness of the body and todays’ guest, meditation teacher Dawn Mauricio, will walk us through the practical applications of this foundation.
Mauricio has been meditating since 2005 and is a graduate of Spirit Rock’s four-year teacher training program. She is also the author of the book, Mindfulness Meditation for Beginners: 50 Meditations to Practice Awareness, Acceptance, and Peace. Dawn’s been on the show before to talk about how to handle difficult people.
This episode is the first installment of a series we've launched on the four foundations of mindfulness.
In this episode we talk about:
- What it actually means to get out of your head and into your body and all of the practical ways to get there
- How strong emotions and seductive technology can work against us
- And what to do when being aware of your body might actually not be the best thing for you
Where to find Dawn Mauricio online:
- Mindfulness Meditation for Beginners: 50 Meditations to Practice Awareness, Acceptance, and Peace
- Why Buddhism is True: The Science and Philosophy of Meditation and Enlightenment
Other Resources Mentioned:
- Mindfulness Meditation with Dawn Mauricio
- Deb Dana on the TPH Podcast
- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
- La Sarmiento
- Jessica Morey
- Ajahn Chah
- Sayadaw U Tejaniya
- Robert Wright
Download the Ten Percent Happier app today: https://10percenthappier.app.link/install