#425. Compassion Is the Ultimate Tool for the Truly Ambitious | Paul Gilbert
Dr. Paul Gilbert OBE is a professor of psychology at the University of Derby, Founder and President of The Compassionate Mind Foundation, the founder of Compassion Focused Therapy, and in 2011 was awarded the Officer of the British Empire, or OBE, from Queen Elizabeth II for his continued contribution to mental healthcare. He’s also the author of several books including The Compassionate Mind, Living Like Crazy, Overcoming Depression, and his latest, Compassion Focused Therapy: Clinical Practice and Applications.
This episode explores:
- What Compassion Focused Therapy actually is.
- Why he says wisdom and courage are key to compassion.
- Some surprising truths about your inner critic.
- How compassion can be used to your advantage, especially if you’re ambitious.
- The relevance of various meditation practices to cultivating compassion.
- How trauma can impact our ability to access compassion, and what we might do about it.
- The importance of the vagus nerve and its relationship to compassion, mindfulness, and friendship.
Where to find Paul Gilbert online:
- Paul Gilbert OBE (@ProfPaulGilbert) | Twitter
- CMF (@CompMindFound) | Twitter
- The Compassionate Mind Foundation | Facebook
- The Compassionate Mind Foundation | LinkedIn
- The Compassionate Mind
- Living Like Crazy
- Overcoming Depression
- Compassion Focused Therapy: Clinical Practice and Applications
Other Resources Mentioned:
- Kristin Neff
- Chris Germer
- #209 Kryptonite for the Inner Critic | Kristin Neff — Ten Percent Happier
- #310 The Scientific Case for Self-Compassion | Chris Germer — Ten Percent Happier
- #360 Self-Compassion Ain't Always Soft | Kristin Neff — Ten Percent Happier
- Richard Davidson
- Joseph Goldstein
- Compassion in Politics
- Download the Ten Percent Happier app today: https://10percenthappier.app.link/install