#534. How to Stop the War Against Yourself | Tara Brach
It’s possible to actually be addicted to self-criticism, especially as a way to keep yourself safe. But evidence shows that’s not true, and today’s episode dives into strategies to deal with your own self-hatred.
This is part two of a series this week on forgiveness. In our last episode, Jack Kornfield focused on forgiving other people and in today’s episode, Tara Brach talks about forgiving yourself.
Tara Brach is a meditation teacher, psychologist and author of several books including Radical Acceptance, Radical Compassion and Trusting the Gold. Her weekly podcast is downloaded 3 million times a month. Tara is also the founder of the Insight Meditation Community of Washington.
In this episode we talk about:
- Why Tara says self-hatred “divides us from our ourselves”
- The benefits of learning the habit to stop kicking our own asses
- Simple meditations to help us with self-forgiveness
- Questions that can help us understand what really matters to us, and what we really want
- The power of seeing the profundity in mundane experiences
- A refresher on a fan favorite meditation technique: RAIN
- How to start trusting reality more than we believe the beliefs about ourselves
- Forgiveness vs accountability
Where to find Tara Brach online:
Other Resources Mentioned:
- Tara’s Dharma Talk: Self Forgiveness with RAIN
- Jeff Warren
- Jack Kornfield
- TPH: #224: Tara Brach: Making it RAIN
- TPH: #408: Can You Handle This? | Tara Brach
- TPH: #156: Shawn Achor, The Science Behind Gratitude
- Karl Menninger
Download the Ten Percent Happier app today: https://10percenthappier.app.link/install