#289 Fun Is a Trainable Skill (And It Doesn't Involve Your Phone) | Catherine Price
At a time like this, fun may seem frivolous. But our guest today is going to argue — convincingly, in my opinion — that fun is absolutely essential to a well-lived life. She has thought deeply about what actually constitutes fun, and how we can best live a life that is conducive to fun. In other words, she argues that fun is a trainable skill. You may have heard of Catherine Price. She’s been on the show before. She wrote an excellent book called How To Break Up With Your Phone, which had a significant influence on me. We start our conversation by talking about ways to achieve what she calls “screen/life balance” during a time of pandemic and political upheaval, and then we flow directly into fun, which is something you can only have when you put your phone down.
Where to find Catherine Price online:
Sign up for the #FunSquad: https://mailchi.mp/screenlifebalance/funsquad
Resources for Screen//Life Balance including a 3-day challenge and social media detox course: screenlifebalance.com
Catherine's writerly social media:
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/catherine_price
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/_catherineprice/
Social Media "intervention feeds" (designed to help you catch you while you're mindlessly scrolling and help you re-direct your attention):
In case you missed it, we're running a podcast series to help you stay sane and engaged during this election season — without burning out. Every Monday in October, we'll discuss four tools from ancient teachings to help guide you through this especially challenging time.
You can check out Monday's podcast episode for a taste of the Election Sanity Series. You can also visit tenpercent.com/guide to sign up for our limited-time email guide.
We would appreciate it if you can take a few minutes to help us out by answering a survey. The team here is always looking for ways to improve. Please go to www.tenpercent.com/survey. Thank you.
Other Resources Mentioned:
- Freedom (App Blocker): https://freedom.to/
- Designing Your Life: https://designingyour.life/
- The Book of Delights by Ross Gay: https://bookshop.org/books/the-book-of-delights-essays/9781616207922
- Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi: https://bookshop.org/books/flow-the-psychology-of-optimal-experience/9780061339202
- Ten Percent Happier Live: https://tenpercent.com/live
- Coronavirus Sanity Guide: https://www.tenpercent.com/coronavirussanityguide
- Free App access for Frontline Workers: https://tenpercent.com/care
Center for Healthy Minds
Join the Center for Healthy Minds and Healthy Minds Innovations for a week-long series of well-being events and discussions. Learn about the innovations and science behind creating a better world from mental health experts and His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Oct. 5-9. Don't miss out – register now!