#310 The Scientific Case for Self-Compassion | Chris Germer
New Year’s Series Episode 2. We talk with Chris Germer about the scientifically-proven benefits of self-compassion; how to practice self-compassion in your life; the disutility of shame; and the connection between self-compassion and compassion for others. Oh, and we also take some listener voicemails.
Chris Germer is a clinical psychologist and lecturer on psychiatry at Harvard Medical School. He also co-developed a highly impactful program called Mindful Self-Compassion, which has been taught to over 100,000 people across the world.
How to join the New Year’s Challenge:
Join the New Year's Challenge by downloading the Ten Percent Happier app : https://app.tenpercent.com/link/download. You should be prompted to join the Challenge after registering your account.
If you've already downloaded the app, just open it up or visit this link to join: https://app.tenpercent.com/link/content?course=f36bd87d-5800-4185-9cf0-0e37d3cb00ac
Where to find Chris Germer online:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CenterForMSC
- Chris’s Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/christophergermerphd/
- Center for Mindful Self Compassion Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/centerformindfulselfcompassion/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCObLXaQeAfuhSLPf3IW5Adw
- Mindfulness and Psychotherapy by Christopher K. Germer, Ronald D. Siegel, Paul R. Fulton: https://chrisgermer.com/mindfulness-and-psychotherapy/
Other Resources Mentioned:
- Mindful self-compassion program: https://self-compassion.org/events/category/msc-intensives/
- Spring Washam, meditation teacher: https://www.springwasham.com
- Joseph Goldstein, meditation teacher: https://www.spiritrock.org/joseph-goldstein
- Lovingkindness: The Art of Happiness by Sharon Salzberg: https://bookshop.org/books/lovingkindness-the-revolutionary-art-of-happiness/9781611808209