#444. How to Sleep Better | Diane Macedo
Sleep may be the apex predator of healthy habits, so why are so many of us getting terrible sleep?
Guest Diane Macedo launched a very detailed personal investigation in order to fix her sleeping habits and joins us for the first episode of a month-long “Mental Health Reboot” series we’re doing to mark Mental Health Awareness Month.
Diane Macedo is the author of the new book The Sleep Fix: Practical, Proven, and Surprising Solutions for Insomnia, Snoring, Shift Work, and More. As an ABC News anchor and correspondent, she appears on Good Morning America, World News Tonight, and Nightline. She’s also the daytime anchor for ABC News Live.
In this episode we talk about:
- Key signs that you’re not getting enough sleep
- Do sleeping pills really work
- When and how to find a sleep specialist
- How to deal with performance anxiety around sleep
- The difference between sleep deprivation and insomnia
- Mindfulness and sleep
- And the biggest sleep myths
Where to find Diane Macedo online:
- The Sleep Fix: Practical, Proven, and Surprising Solutions for Insomnia, Snoring, Shift Work, and More
Other Resources Mentioned:
- Will I Ever Sleep Again | Childproof with Yasmeen Khan
- CBT-I: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia
- Dr. Jason Ong, leading expert on mindfulness and sleep
- RLS: Restless Legs Syndrome
- National Sleep Foundation