#444. How to Sleep Better | Diane Macedo
If you're not sleeping well, it's harder to do anything you care about. It's harder to get healthier, to be more focused and productive, to be happier, to be more successful, to have good relationships—all of it.
Sleep may be the apex predator of healthy habits, and yet so many of us are getting terrible sleep because we don't prioritize it or because we've told ourselves a whole story about how we're just not people who sleep well, and so we just live with it.
In this episode, you’re going to meet somebody who decided she was not going to live with it any longer, and she launched an extremely detailed personal investigation in order to fix it. And luckily for us, she is a journalist, so she documented the whole thing and gathered extremely useful, heavily vetted information and insights we can all use.
Diane Macedo the author of the book, The Sleep Fix: Practical, Proven and Surprising Solutions for Insomnia, Snoring, Shift Work, and More. She is an ABC News anchor and correspondent and she appears on Good Morning America World News Tonight with David Muir and Nightline. Diane is also the daytime anchor for ABC News Live, the streaming service.
In this episode we talk about:
- Key signs that you’re not getting enough sleep
- Do sleeping pills really work?
- When and how to find a sleep specialist
- How to deal with performance anxiety around sleep
- The difference between sleep deprivation and insomnia
- Mindfulness and sleep
- The biggest sleep myths
Where to find Diane Macedo online:
- The Sleep Fix: Practical, Proven, and Surprising Solutions for Insomnia, Snoring, Shift Work, and More
Other Resources Mentioned:
- Will I Ever Sleep Again | Childproof with Yasmeen Khan
- CBT-I: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia
- Dr. Jason Ong, leading expert on mindfulness and sleep
- RLS: Restless Legs Syndrome
- National Sleep Foundation
- Download the Ten Percent Happier app today: https://10percenthappier.app.link/install