#340 The Science of Hope | Jacqueline Mattis
Today we’re talking to a renowned psychologist who has come up with five strategies for cultivating hope. Dr. Jacqueline Mattis is a clinical psychologist from Rutgers University, where she is also a Dean of Faculty. As you will hear, she did not start her career wanting to study hope. She started out studying spirituality and religiosity, specifically doing lots of field work and interviews in African American and Afri-Caribbean urban communities. She wanted to know why people living under high-stress conditions so often choose to be good and compassionate. That research eventually led her to hope.
This the final interview in our two-week series on hope. The three previous guests approached the topic from a Buddhist perspective. Today, Mattis will talk about hope from a scientific perspective. How does hope work? And what are the benefits? What she does have in common with our previous guests is that she sees hope as a skill, not as a blind or complacent state of unfounded optimism.
If, after this interview, you find yourself wanting to put hope to work in your own life, and you’ve got the Ten Percent Happier app, then make sure to check out our new talks and meditations from some of our finest teachers about how to cultivate hope as a skill. Click here or tap on the “Singles” and “Talks” tabs in the app to check them out. And if you don’t have the app, you can try it for free today. Just download the Ten Percent Happier app wherever you get your apps, or click here.
Where to find Jacqueline Mattis online:
Other Resources Mentioned:
- The Greek myth, Pandora’s Box
- Tina, the documentary about Tina Turner
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s “Loving Your Enemies” sermon
- Joseph Goldstein, “Here, Now, Aware: The Power of Mindfulness”
- Hope Is a Skill: https://app.tenpercent.com/link/content?topic=5ca5db1f-aebc-43a2-921f-b22eea62cc94
- Ten Percent Happier Live: https://tenpercent.com/live
- Coronavirus Sanity Guide: https://www.tenpercent.com/coronavirussanityguide
- Free App access for Frontline Workers: https://tenpercent.com/care
Vote for Us!
We’ve been nominated for two Webbies! Best Interview Show and Best Individual Episode (for our conversation with the Dalai Lama last year). Help us win by clicking on the above links to cast your votes.