#364 Getting Over Yourself | Joseph Goldstein
Available for free on:
Amazon Music | Apple Podcasts | Castbox | Google Podcasts | iHeartRadio | Pandora | Player FM | Spotify | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS Feed
For the uninitiated, Joseph Goldstein is one of the cofounders of the Insight Meditation Society (IMS) alongside Sharon Salzberg and Jack Kornfield. Since its founding, thousands of people from around the world have come to IMS to learn mindfulness from leaders in the field.
In this episode Goldstein covers strategies for getting over yourself. Every year, Goldstein does a three-month retreat by himself at his home in Massachusetts. This year, he emerged with a bunch of thoughts on what’s called “the three proliferating tendencies,” or three “prapancas,” to use the ancient Pali term.
These are three ways in which we perpetuate a sense of self -- not a healthy sense of self, but an unhealthy sense of self. You can think about the process of going deeper in meditation as a process of lightening up or getting less self-centered. Now, you’re about to get a master class in doing just that.
Download the Ten Percent Happier app today: https://app.tenpercent.com/link/download
Where to find Joseph Goldstein online:
- At the Insight Meditation Society
- On the Ten Percent Happier App
- The Experience of Insight, A Simple and Direct Guide to Buddhist Meditation
- Other books contributed to or written by Joseph
- July Insight Meditation Retreat
Programs offered by Joseph Goldstein in relation to the specific practices talked about in this episode:
Other Resources Mentioned:
- Jay Michaelson
- The Code Breaker: Jennifer Doudna, Gene Editing, and the Future of the Human Race, by Walter Isaacson
- Munindraji, Anagarika Munindra
- Ten Percent Happier Live: https://tenpercent.com/live
- Coronavirus Sanity Guide: https://www.tenpercent.com/coronavirussanityguide
- Free App access for Frontline Workers: https://tenpercent.com/care