#363 How to Keep Your Relationships On the Rails | Kaira Jewel Lingo
Today’s episode is about a Buddhist tool for resolving conflict and keeping your relationships healthy. Today’s guest, Kaira Jewel Lingo, was an ordained nun of 15 years in Thich Nhat Hanh’s Order of Interbeing, and is now a lay Dharma teacher based on Long Island. She graduated from Stanford University with a B.A. and M.A. in Anthropology and Social Sciences. She’s edited a few books by Thich Nhat Hanh, including Planting Seeds: Practicing Mindfulness with Children.
In this interview, Kaira Jewel talks about: the Beginning Anew practice (and how even skeptics can see the value in it); how Beginning Anew can strengthen relationships and resolve conflicts; the four steps of the practice; and Kaira’s own experience with the practice, as both a teacher of it and a practitioner of it.
If Kaira Jewel's insights on gratitude within the practice intrigue or inspire you, you might like a fantastic meditation we released recently on the Ten Percent Happier app called "Daily Gratitude Booster" by Matthew Hepburn. It's the perfect way to cultivate a regular practice of gratitude, which, like meditation itself, is a skill that you can improve. Check it out by downloading the Ten Percent Happier app wherever you get your apps (https://app.tenpercent.com/link/download) or click the link in our show notes to be taken directly to Matthew's meditation: https://app.tenpercent.com/link/content?meditation=ab981c0f-d353-4c75-a218-42f3255abe75.
Where to find Kaira Jewel Lingo online:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kairajewel/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kairajewel/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfmckIOMHnvVnGn-IBYp_Cg?view_as=subscriber
- Newsletter: http://www.kairajewel.com/newsletter-subscription
- Planting Seeds: Practicing Mindfulness With Children
- Together We Are One: Honoring Our Diversity, Celebrating Our Connection
- We Were Made for These Times: Ten Lessons on Moving Through Change, Loss, and Disruption
Other Resources Mentioned:
- Thich Nhat Hanh
- Plum Village
- More about Beginning Anew on this site and in this book
- Sister Chan Khong
- Dan Clurman and Mudita Nisker
- Brené Brown
- Annabelle Zinser