#311 Karamo: How To Actually Do Self-Love
New Year’s Series Episode 3. We talk with Karamo about how to practice self-love--and why doing so is the opposite of selfish.
Karamo was the first out gay Black man on reality TV when he appeared on MTV’s The Real World: Philadelphia in 2004. But then he left TV and found out he was a father. He got custody of his son, adopted his son’s half-brother, and worked for a decade as a social worker before returning to the media world. He’s now the Culture expert on Netflix’s blockbuster reboot of Queer Eye. He also hosts his own podcast and is the author of a memoir as well as a children’s book, which he co-wrote with his son.
In today’s conversation, we talk about why, for Karamo, learning to love himself started with learning to love his first name; how he overcame negative messages inside his abusive childhood home; why men struggle so much with the concept of self-love; and the areas in his own life where he struggles the most to practice what he preaches.
How to join the New Year’s Challenge:
Join the New Year's Challenge by downloading the Ten Percent Happier app : https://app.tenpercent.com/link/download. You should be prompted to join the Challenge after registering your account.
If you've already downloaded the app, just open it up or visit this link to join: https://app.tenpercent.com/link/content?course=f36bd87d-5800-4185-9cf0-0e37d3cb00ac
Where to find Karamo Brown online:
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/Karamo
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Personal-Blog/Karamo-Brown-Page-227323621184576/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/karamo
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Karamobrown
- Podcast: https://luminary.link/PPiQNuwwicb
- Karamo: My Story of Embracing Purpose, Healing, and Hope by Karamo Brown: http://karamobook.com
- I am Perfectly Designed by Karamo Brown & Jason Brown: https://read.macmillan.com/mcpg/iamperfectlydesigned/