#352 Why You’re Burning Out -- And How to Fix It | Leah Weiss
Available for free on:
Amazon Music | Apple Podcasts | Castbox | Google Podcasts | iHeartRadio | Pandora | Player FM | Spotify | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS Feed
Covid appears to have brought on a spike in burnout, especially among women, millions of whom have exited the workplace since the pandemic began. So what is burnout, exactly? How do you know if you qualify? How do you fix it? And can meditation help? That’s what we’re tackling today with Leah Weiss, who despite being a longtime meditator herself, has experienced burnout firsthand.
Leah is a researcher and author. She was a founding faculty member of the Compassion Institute at Stanford University, and she’s the co-founder of Skylyte - a company that specializes in using the latest science to help organizations prevent burnout. She’s written two books, the most relevant for our purposes is called: How We Work: Live Your Purpose, Reclaim Your Sanity, and Embrace the Daily Grind. In this conversation, we cover: the differences between anxiety, depression, and burnout; how to detect burnout; how burnout runs along a spectrum, and is a “full body experience;” why meditation can help but also make some people more susceptible to burnout; what can be done to protect women in the workplace; and her argument that burnout isn’t just a personal problem, but also a systemic one.
If you don't already have the Ten Percent Happier app, download it for free here, or wherever you get your apps.
Where to find Leah Weiss online:
Other Resources Mentioned:
- Nearly 3 million women have left the workplace (Feb 2021)
- Adam Grant on the TPH Podcast
- There’s a Name for the Blah You’re Feeling: It’s Called Languishing
- The Compassion Institute
- Thupten Jinpa Langri
- His Holiness the Dalai Lama
- Stanford University
- The Satipatthana Sutta
- Satipatthana: The Direct Path to Realization
- Bart van Melik on the TPH Podcast
- Ten Percent Happier Live: https://tenpercent.com/live
- Coronavirus Sanity Guide: https://www.tenpercent.com/coronavirussanityguide
- Free App access for Frontline Workers: https://tenpercent.com/care