#316 How to Call People In (Instead of Calling Them Out) | Loretta Ross
On this Martin Luther King day, it’s tempting to fear that America, and the world, may never have been further away from the kind of inclusive society that Dr. King called for so eloquently. So today, we are, I hope, going to give you a little hope -- and perhaps also some ideas for how you can be an engaged citizen without losing your mind. My guest is Loretta Ross, who describes herself as a radical Black feminist, activist, and public intellectual. She’s a Visiting Associate Professor at Smith College, and she also teaches an online course that caught our eye. It’s called, “Calling in the Calling Out Culture.” She believes that “calling out,” which is quite common on social media these days, is adding way too much toxicity to the discourse and alienating people who might otherwise be allies. Instead, she believes in “calling in,” which steadfastly insists on a large measure of grace, and rejects the impulse to dehumanize. As you will hear, she is a longtime leftist, but no matter where you stand politically, she is modeling a compelling mode of engaging that is insistently open-minded and large-hearted. And, as you will hear, it is one she has personally put the test, as a Black woman who has worked with white supremacists, and a rape survivor who has worked with incarcerated rapists.
Where to find Loretta Ross online:
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/LorettaJRoss
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorettaross
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm2FxbqwV3BEhDpnAihWKqQ
Take a few minutes to help us out by answering a survey about your experience with this podcast! The team here is always looking for ways to improve, and we’d love to hear from all of you, but we’d particularly like to hear from those of you who listen to the podcast and do not use our companion app. Please visit www.tenpercent.com/survey to take the survey. Thank you.
Other Resources Mentioned:
- Online Courses: https://lorettajross.com/online-courses
- New York Times Op-Ed: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/17/opinion/sunday/cancel-culture-call-out.html
- David Roediger: http://www.davidroediger.org/
- Viola Liuzzo: https://www.biography.com/activist/viola-gregg-liuzzo
- Harper’s Magazine, A Letter on Justice and Open Debate: https://harpers.org/a-letter-on-justice-and-open-debate/
- Lois McMaster Bujold: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/16094.Lois_McMaster_Bujold
- Bryan Stevenson: https://eji.org/bryan-stevenson/