Legendary Record Producer Rick Rubin On: Creativity, Habits, Self-Doubt, Intuition and Meditation
We also cover: What to do when you're feeling stuck, the difference between authenticity and sincerity, and his approach to work/life balance.
Rick Rubin is a nine-time GRAMMY-winning producer and a New York Times number one best selling author of the book, The Creative Act: A Way of Being. He was named one of the 100 most influential people in the world by Time and the most successful producer in any genre by Rolling Stone. He has collaborated with artists from Tom Petty to Adele, Johnny Cash to the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beastie Boys to Slayer, Kanye West to the Strokes, and System of a Down to Jay-Z.
In this episode we talk about:
- Rick’s meditation practice
- The connection between meditation and creativity
- Why creativity is a birthright for all of us
- How good habits help facilitate the making of good art
- The benefits of accepting the magical and mysterious aspects of creativity
- His analogy of the vessel and the filter
- The difference between authenticity and sincerity
- The role of doubt when creating
- The role of intuition
- What to do when you’re feeling stuck in a creative endeavor
- His approach to a work/life balance
- His take on drugs and their effect on the creative process
- And his thoughts on the creative capacity of AI
For tickets to TPH's live event in Boston on September 7:
Other Resources Mentioned:
- Download the Ten Percent Happier app today: https://10percenthappier.app.link/install
Want to Be on Ten Percent Happier?
Do you have a favorite episode of the show? One that’s stuck in your head because of a wisdom bomb dropped by a guest or Dan? Maybe someone articulated a problem that resonated with you, or sparked a new habit that’s the best part of your day? We want to hear about it!Here’s how you can help us uncover these hidden gems.
- Call +1 508-656-0540
- Tell us your name and favorite episode
- In a couple of sentences, tell us why this episode hit home for you
Your episode and story may be part of our new “Deep Cuts” series, where we’re giving our listeners the chance to pick the programming and share their insights. Happy dialing.