#252 “You Can't Meditate This Away" (Race, Rage, and the Responsibilities of Meditators) | Sebene Selassie
There is fury in America's streets -- and we, as meditators, have the opportunity to use our practice to do the hard work of seeing things clearly (including the ugliness in our own minds), and responding wisely. I'm incredibly grateful to my guest, meditation teacher Sebene Selassie, for agreeing to come on this show on short notice (like, two hours beforehand) to discuss such a painful subject. This episode is in response to the protests that have broken out nationwide in the wake of the case of George Floyd, a black man who died after nearly nine minutes with his neck under the knee of a white police officer in Minneapolis. Our conversation is personal and raw. Most of all, we hope it is useful.
Where to find Sebene online:
Instagram @sebeneselassie // https://www.instagram.com/sebeneselassie/
Other Resources Mentioned:
- W. E. B. Du Bois // https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._E._B._Du_Bois
- KAREEM ABDUL-JABBAR L,A Times Op-ED // https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2020-05-30/dont-understand-the-protests-what-youre-seeing-is-people-pushed-to-the-edge
- The 1619 Project by New York Times // https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/08/14/magazine/1619-america-slavery.html
- Seeing White - Scene on Radio // https://www.sceneonradio.org/seeing-white/
- Well Read Black Girl // https://www.wellreadblackgirl.com/
- Ten Percent Happier Challenge: https://www.tenpercent.com/challenge
- Ten Percent Happier Live: https://tenpercent.com/live
- Coronavirus Sanity Guide: https://www.tenpercent.com/coronavirussanityguide
- Free App access for Health Care Workers: https://tenpercent.com/care
On June 10, we're launching the Pandemic Resilience Challenge: a free 21 day meditation challenge to help all of us cope with the anxiety, uncertainty, loneliness, boredom and all the other fun emotions we're experiencing during this pandemic.
To join the waitlist and receive updates, visit tenpercent.com/challenge.