#378. Life, Interrupted | Suleika Jaouad
Available for free on:
Amazon Music | Apple Podcasts | Castbox | Google Podcasts | iHeartRadio | Pandora | Player FM | Spotify | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS Feed
Here’s a thought experiment: how would you handle it if you got a terrible diagnosis?
Of course, many of us have no choice. That’s the situation Suleika Jaouad faced when she got gravely ill at a very young age. She had to figure out how to have a sense of agency when so much was out of her control, and how to stay awake and present when her life was hanging in the balance.
Suleika Jaouad is a journalist, author, speaker, cancer survivor, and the author of a book called Between Two Kingdoms: A Memoir of a Life Interrupted. She is also the creator of “Life, Interrupted,” the Emmy award-winning New York Times column and video series that she created from her hospital bed.
In this conversation, we talk about: Suleika’s journey from being diagnosed with leukemia as a young adult to her recovery today; managing your emotions in excruciating situations; handling an ocean of uncertainty; feeding your need for creativity and productivity when your body is in mutiny mode; and the immense value of strategically going easy on yourself, especially when you’re an ambitious person.
Where to find Suleika Jaouad online:
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/suleikajaouad
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SuleikaJaouadPage
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/suleikajaouad/
Book Mentioned: Between Two Kingdoms: A Memoir of a Life Interrupted
Other Resources Mentioned:
- Life, Interrupted
- Frida Kahlo
- Virginia Woolf
- The Likeability Trap: How to Break Free and Succeed As You Are by Alicia Menendez
- Miguel de Cervantes
- Pema Chodron
- Joseph Goldstein
- Isolation Journals
- Ten Percent Happier Live: https://tenpercent.com/live
- Coronavirus Sanity Guide: https://www.tenpercent.com/coronavirussanityguide
- Free App access for Frontline Workers: https://tenpercent.com/care