Ancient Secrets to Modern Happiness | Tamar Gendler
What the ancient Greek philosophers discovered about how to do life better.
Tamar Gendler is dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Vincent J. Scully Professor of Philosophy, and Professor of Psychology and Cognitive Science at Yale University. Her Open Yale course “Philosophy and the Science of Human Nature” has hundreds of thousands of views. An updated version of this course will be available on the Coursera website this spring.
In this episode we talk about:
- The tension between our animal nature and our spiritual/intellectual nature
- How to define concepts such as “virtue”, “morality” and “the soul”
- Whether living a moral life actually makes you happy
- The similarities and differences between ancient Greek philosophy & Buddhism
- And how Tamar has applied all of this to her own life
- How (and Why) to Hug Your Inner Dragons | Richard Schwartz
- An Ace Therapist Gives Dan A Run For His Money | Dr. Jacob Ham
Sign up for Dan’s weekly newsletter here
Ten Percent Happier online bookstore
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel
Download the Ten Percent Happier app today: https://10percenthappier.app.link/install