Best of the Archives: Making it RAIN | Tara Brach
Available for free on:
Amazon Music | Apple Podcasts | Castbox | Google Podcasts | iHeartRadio | Pandora | Player FM | Spotify | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS Feed
Today we’re going to talk about a massively useful acronym, which can be used both on the cushion and in your free-range living. The acronym is RAIN -- R-A-I-N -- and rather than explaining it myself, I will leave that to my guest today, who has become one of RAIN’s primary proponents.
Tara Brach is an author, therapist, and meditation teacher. She has a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology, she founded the Insight Meditation Community of Washington, and she has written several books, including her latest, which is called Radical Compassion. We first posted this interview in January 2020, shortly after that book came out.
In this conversation, we talk about: What RAIN is and how to apply it in many areas of your life, including relationships; a Buddhist list called The Eight Worldly Winds; and whether most people harbor a suspicion that there's something fundamentally wrong with us.
But we start and end the conversation with a touchy subject. In my first book, I made fun of Tara a little bit, which didn’t go down that well with her, although I didn’t know that until this chat. I really respect how warm and open she was during this tricky discussion. Stay tuned until the very end, when we fully wrap that subject up.
We would appreciate it if you could take a few minutes to help us out by answering a brand-new survey about your experience with this podcast. Our team here cares deeply about you, our listeners, and we are always looking for ways to improve. Please go to www.tenpercent.com/survey. Thank you.
Where to find Tara Brach online:
- Website: https://www.tarabrach.com/
- Podcast: https://www.tarabrach.com/talks-audio-video/
- Books: https://www.amazon.com/l/B001KE8BHO?_encoding=UTF8&redirectedFromKindleDbs=true&ref_=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1&rfkd=1&shoppingPortalEnabled=true
Other Resources Mentioned:
- 10% Happier
- I Am That
- Eight Worldly Winds/Eight Worldly Concerns
- Michele McDonald
- RAIN Resources
- Louis Cozolino
- Spring Washam
- The Overstory
- The DARE Response
- Ruby Sales: Where Does it Hurt?
- Ten Percent Happier Live: https://tenpercent.com/live
- Coronavirus Sanity Guide: https://www.tenpercent.com/coronavirussanityguide
- Free App access for Frontline Workers: https://tenpercent.com/care